Past Volunteering activities have included:
- Book preservation for the Library of the Glasgow branch of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Archive work at the Highland Light Infantry Museum in Sauchiehall Street, involving preservation and digitisation of World War I records and other documents.
- Book preservation at the Library of the late-lamented Mackintosh Building of the Glasgow School of Art.
- Preparation of a Heritage Trail pamphlet for New Kilpatrick Parish Church.
There is scope for members of our society to get the satisfaction from participating in similar projects. Anyone interested is asked to get in touch with any committee member (details on the back of the Membership card), or speak to Meg Macfarlane, previous Chairman, who was heavily involved in these Volunteering activities. You can contact her at Meg Macfarlane.
The Arts Society also encourages members who have special interests in the Arts to share these in ‘Study Days’. These do not need to be whole days but could be a couple of hours in a morning or afternoon. Help with putting these together is available from Peter Davies
In 1971 the National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts Societies (now renamed the Arts Society), in association with the Victoria and Albert Museum, undertook to create a database of the furnishings of the churches throughout the land. This was to be carried out by volunteers from the member societies, and since then over 1800 churches have been recorded.
In the autumn of 2014, our society offered to take on the recording of New Kilpatrick Parish Church in Bearsden, an ‘A listed’ building whose origins date back to 1649. Under the leadership of Peter Davies and Meg Macfarlane, a team of volunteers has made a comprehensive descriptive and photographic record of everything from the important stained glass windows, to church records, woodwork, textiles and much more. The record is now complete and is currently in the process of being printed. It will be presented to the Church at a special service, and copies will be given to the V&A Museum, the National Library of Scotland and the East Dunbartonshire Archives. The church will also have copies available for purchase.